Monday, June 1, 2015

Mysterious Layers




I use a special program to create my book covers and it has a layering function. For those who don’t know, this means I can take a picture and layer things over it. If I want to I can start with a country scene with an large oak tree, and then I can add a dog under the tree, add a large, gaping hole with a skeleton in it, and end with another dog next to the hole in the ground.

However, this post isn’t about book covers. It’s about layers, and it’s about mysteries.

The basis for your story might be about a family going on vacation. From there the author will start layering.

Where did the family go? Where did they stay? Who did they see? What did they do? In the midst of the vacation, how did they suddenly cross paths with a dead body? What did they do about it?  

Each one of those questions is answered with a new layer.

Of course, I’m not telling mystery writers something they don’t already know. It might give readers a new perspective, though.

In Awkward Moments – A Bogey Man Mystery, while on vacation young Mikey Cross digs a hole in which to bury a dead bird and finds the vintage remains of a man. Under the body he finds bags of gold. It started with a vacation and turned into a murder investigation after layers started being unveiled. By the way, the book cover described above is the cover for this story.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=marja+mcgraw&sprefix=Marja+Mc%2Cstripbooks%2C257

I can only speak for myself, but when reading a mystery I like to savor every layer and try to figure out who done it and why. I do the same thing when I watch a mystery show on television. Even if my conclusions are wrong, as long as the outcome makes sense, I’ve still had a good time trying to figure things out. The key is that the ending leaves the reader feeling fulfilled because it made sense. Sometimes you have to slap the palm of your hand on your forehead and say, “Now why didn’t I see that coming?”

At one time my husband liked to “channel surf”, which drove me nuts. He’d pick up the remote control and start clicking to see what else might be on. It went something like this:

            “And the killer is…”
click
            “The secret ingredient is…”
click
            “Next week all will be revealed about why…”
click
“The butler couldn’t have done it because…”
click

Sometimes you have to look at the funny side. Otherwise, that remote might have ended up in the trash or in a good hiding place.

Off topic, but this reminds me of why I don’t like books that end with a cliffhanger, making you buy the next book to find out what happened. Of course, there are exceptions or we’d probably be reading seven hundred page books. Been there, done that. No more. It reminds me of laying a story too many times. Give me a cliffhanger at the end of a chapter, and I’m good – not at the end of a story. I like to feel fulfilled when I close the book.

Think about what you’ve just read in this post. It layered from one thing to another. How else could I have gotten from book covers to cliffhangers and still make sense? At least, I hope I made sense. You never know with me.

As a reader, how do you feel about layers in a story? Doesn’t it feel a bit one-dimensional without them?

Until next time, think about the layers in your everyday life. If the layers don’t feel right, try to make a few changes so they add up to a good week.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

Don’t forget about How Now Purple Cow – A Bogey Man Mystery whose purple cows and elderly spies just might knock your socks off.

20 comments:

  1. Though I've not really thought of it as layering, I know that is what makes a mystery, or any book, much more satisfying. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. Readers can peel the layers back and figure out what's going on, even if they don't figure out who did the deed.

      Delete
  2. Layering is very important and, like Marilyn Meredith, I never thought of it that way. I don't like for books to end in cliffhangers either although I have done it with one of my trilogies. Cliffhangers at the end of books make me so mad sometimes I refuse to read the sequels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one thing to know the end of a book will lead to another, but to do that with a cliffhanger is very frustrating. I haven't found a book where you did that yet.

      Delete
  3. Make that three of us who never thought of it that way. Hmm. Layering. Interesting.
    You always manage to come up with unique ways of looking at things, Marja. In your books and in your blogs. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. Maybe I have a unique mind, which isn't always a good thing. LOL

      Delete
  4. That's an interesting perspective you have on layering in a novel. I'll have to try it with my next one. Sigh! Don't mind me, I'm just a little stuck with the storyline. But I think you may have helped. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Evelyn. I hope I did some good. With everything that's been going on, I can't even remember my storyline. I'll have to read what I've done so far before I can get back to work.

      Delete
  5. Excellent post, Marja. I agree about layering and cliffhangers. A cliffhanger is a good device at the end of a chapter but even those can be overdone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! If done right, I enjoy cliffhangers at the end of a chapter because they keep me turning the pages, but yes, they can be overdone.

      Delete
  6. Yes! Marja, on the mark as usual. In my mind layering adds richness and depth. Excellent post (as usual!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madeline! If layering a photo can add depth, then the same would apply to a story (I think). : )

      Delete
  7. Yes, mysteries and any and every book could use layering, I feel, to keep the story interesting so that we keep turning the page. Well said, Marja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen! You're right when you say this applies to every book.

      Delete
  8. I like a mystery with layers, and I think the writer can do that more successfully with multidimentional characters, ones who have interesting lives, friends, families, and are involved in their communities. I like writing series mysteries because it gives me more opportunities to build these characters, their lives and the layers of complexity. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lesley! I've read too many books where the protagonist didn't have any real friends and no family. I like that you include friends and family in your books. It makes it more real to me, not to mention you make me laugh.

      Delete
  9. I like the way you describe building your story with layers. I think of it as cause and effect - with surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good description, Sandy, and the surprises are the most exciting part.

      Delete
  10. Hi Marja, finally got the chance to read your post and very much enjoyed your insights on this topic. Layering definitely adds to my enjoyment of the book as it allows me to fully immerse myself into the wonderful world of fiction :-) I am also not a fan of cliffhangers. Suspense while the story is in progress is fine, but when the book ends, it should leave me feeling happy and satisfied :-) Anyway, thanks so much for this extremely interesting post, all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ramla Zareen! It sounds like we both look for the same things in books. I want to enjoy a story and when I close the book I want to feel satisfied. I know there are some series where it's important to indicate you need to move on to the next book, like historical novels, but in general I prefer a conclusion.

      Delete