Monday, July 13, 2015

Lorie Ham, Guest Author and Publisher of Kings River Life Magazine



 This week my guest is Lorie Ham, author and publisher. She has an interesting story to tell and an enjoyable ezine to check out. I think you'll be glad you stopped in to learn more about here. Welcome, and thank you for visiting this week, Lorie.
 

How I Came to Write Mysteries
by Lorie Lewis Ham

I started writing as soon as I could put sentences together. The first things I wrote were stories about my stuffed animals, then I moved on to poetry. My first publication was a poem when I was 13. After that, I wrote poems, articles, and short stories for several years and saw some published. I also have written off and on for the local newspaper. However, in my mid teens I decided I wanted to write a novel and even tried writing a Star Trek one, but it didn't take long before I more specifically wanted to write a mystery novel. Believe it or not, Jessica Fletcher on "Murder She Wrote" was a big inspiration for that, and honestly when I need to feel inspired I still turn on an episode of the show.

Now I didn't grow up reading mysteries like my little brother did. I think he read pretty much every Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys book. I read books about horses and Star Trek books. But around the same time I started trying to write a book, my brother finally got me to read Sherlock Holmes. From there on I was hooked!

It wasn't until my early twenties when I joined Sisters In Crime that I ended up with an idea that worked. I've been singing gospel music my whole life as well and someone in the group said, "Hey why don't you write a mystery featuring a gospel singer?" So I gave it a try and everything clicked. I wrote and published four mysteries featuring gospel singer Alexandra Walters. They weren't Christian mysteries though, as they showed the bad side of that world as well.

Not long after I started to write my first book in that series, "Murder In Four Part Harmony," I also started attending a creative writing class. For some reason, which I still don't understand, my teacher insisted I write a Christian romance! To please her I did give it a shot--but let's get real, I ended up killing someone off anyway. I don't like romance novels, so how could I possibly write one? I think it is important that you like the type of book you are writing--otherwise how could you possibly put your heart into it? And trust me, readers will know if you don't.

So basically, I write mysteries for the same reason I read them--I love the puzzle, and I love exploring why people do the things they do. You can be certain that I will NEVER write a romance novel. Over the years, I have become a fan of fantasy novels as well, and I did try my hand at writing a vampire one, and who knows maybe that will happen someday. But my heart belongs to mysteries!

I am currently working on the first book in a brand new series featuring an entertainment and pet blogger. You will also find me at the online magazine I publish, Kings River Life Magazine. There we publish all sorts of things, including some wonderful articles about animal rescue. But pretty much half of every issue is mystery related--mystery book reviews, giveaways, short stories, articles and more. Because as I said before--my heart belongs to mysteries! You can check us out at http://kingsriverlife.com/.

http://kingsriverlife.com/

Lorie Lewis Ham has been publishing her writing since the age of 13 and singing since the age of 5. She worked for her local newspaper off and on for years, and in 2010 became the editor-in-chief and publisher of Kings River Life Magazine http://kingsriverlife.com/. She has also published 5 mystery novels--you can learn more about her mystery writing on her blog http://mysteryratscloset.blogspot.com/.


~ * ~

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw's website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

15 comments:

  1. Nice to learn more about you and your career, Lorie. Definitely agree, it's important to like the genre in which you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing how you started out in writing, Lorie. It's interesting because, like you, my writing career began with a poem I wrote when I was ten years old. When I saw my byline in my Sunday School magazine, I knew exactly what I wanted to be "when I grew up."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. I agree with you about writing what you like. Ps. I was a huge Nancy Drew fan when I was younger. Even watched the TV series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for taking the time to check this out and comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You killed someone off writing a romance--love it! That's exactly what I would do. Very fun post, learning about you, Lorie. You're also a great friend to other mystery writers--thanks so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to get some insight into the life of a person who not only writes what they love, but is also so supportive of other mystery authors. I heartily recommend Kings River Life Magazine to anyone, anywhere in the world, who enjoys reading mysteries - great reviews and interviews, and those wonderful short mystery stories you just don't get to read anywhere else! Thanks Marja, and Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your interesting history. I started writing mysteries when I took a mystery writing workshop. Like you, I was hooked. It's definitely the puzzle that makes it fun, isn't it? Thank you too, for your great online magazine. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading about your writing journey, Lorie. Your new mystery series sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to come read my post and to comment! And thanks so much for all the kind words about Kings River Life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course I pretty much knew all this, but I'm looking forward to reading the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your personal story with everyone, Lorie. I enjoy reading Kings River Life.. And I even have your icon on my website.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to learn about another writer. Have added to my reading list and will definitely follow your e magazine. Trying to catch up on missed blog posts; definitely needed to catch this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. Danilo

    ReplyDelete