Monday, January 2, 2017

Fresh Starts





The new year is here. Welcome 2017! So many of us think of a new year as a time for fresh starts and changes.

Maybe this applies to some of our lives, but does it apply to our writing or reading? With regard to writing, probably not. If you’re in the middle of writing a new book, are you going to set it aside and start something else? Not likely. There are exceptions, of course. If your own book is boring you, maybe it’s time to move on to something else. I’ve done that. I can think of one book in particular that I started and set aside, but we won’t go there. “It’s too distressing to think about,” she said, hanging her head.

When it comes to reading, that’s a different story. Maybe you’ve been reading too many of the same type of book and you’re becoming bored. So pick out something different. Try something new. Try a new author. Try a different genre. Mix things up a little.

Did any of you make New Year’s Resolutions? Don’t look at me. I didn’t. I don’t like putting myself on a spot, so why start the year out that way? I’ll keep plugging along on the new book I’m working on (I’m not bored with it), and as far as life, I think I’d rather be surprised rather than plan it all out. Again, there are exceptions, but…

I love surprises, at least the happy ones. I love a good book that surprises me, as long as those surprises make sense and all the loose ends are tied up.

Mysteries are my first (but not only) love in stories because they often provide surprises. I love solving puzzles and seeing the pieces fall into place like they should in a mystery. That’s actually kind of funny because I once saw my grandfather, whose vision was failing, doing a jigsaw puzzle. He had a puzzle piece in one hand and a hammer in the other, and a magnifying glass sitting off to one side. He was bound and determined to see that piece fit into the puzzle, whether it was the right piece or not. That’s probably not a good idea in fiction or in real life. I’ll tell you what, though, he was having a good time until he hit his finger with the hammer.

Again, the new year is here. What’ll it be? What will this year mean to you as a writer or reader?

There’s an old saying about figuring things out. “Look up, look down, look all around.” These are sage words for both characters in mysteries and for mystery writers. You never know where your next story will come from, but keep your eyes and mind open in case life presents you with inspiration. It happens more often than you might think.

I mentioned changes at the beginning of this post. I’d like to make changes in book promotion, but I just can’t seem to come up with a unique idea. There must be some idea out there that doesn’t cost money and that no one has tried yet. If I come up with any brainstorms, I just might share the idea. Don’t hold your breath though. Writers are often dreamers.
Are there any changes you’d like to make this year? Are they realistic? Okay, so we often live in the world of fiction, but what the heck? I’ll bet there are times when fiction might apply to reality. We already know that the reverse of that is often true.

Until next time, I hope a pleasant surprise drops in to visit your life, and I also hope you find some good books to while away the time.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

I love that title. It says a lot.

16 comments:

  1. Marja,
    When you come up with that new idea for promotion, don't forget your friends. LOL
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IF I ever come up with something unique, you'll be the first to know, Pat. Wishing you a great new year with fun surprises!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice! Wishing you a great new year with fun surprises!

      Delete
  3. Check out MY predictions at www.daccrossley.typepad.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read it, Dac. Interesting thoughts. I'm going to take a "wait and see" attitude. Wishing you a great new year with fun surprises!

      Delete
  4. I'll make a deal with you. If I come up with an earth-shattering idea for promotion, I'll share it with you if you promise to do the same. Until then, good luck! I hope 2017 brings much happiness and writing success (however you define that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the same for you, Amy, and yes, we'll share. We'll start with a positive attitude. : ) Wishing you a great new year with fun surprises!

      Delete
  5. As our resolution for this year, the published members in my writer's group met with our local library to set up some free promotions for 2017. So far, we've got a couple of events set up, including having a huge event on National Indy Author's Day in October for all the local authors in our area. And sharing the library's stall at the local Farmer's Market this summer. We're still brainstorming. Hope this helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ideas, Evelyn. I'm going to check into a couple of local farmers markets to see what set up would cost. I've talked to a number of authors over the years who said the arts & crafts fairs worked the best for them. Wishing you a great new year with fun surprises!

      Delete
  6. It seems that finding promotions that work is foremost with almost everyone. And you can include me in that group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I come up with anything outrageous, Pat, I'll pass on the word. Wishing you a great new year with fun surprises!

      Delete
  7. I have nothing to add, promotion wise, because any promotion I do is on the Internet; however I wish every writer success in her attempts to bring her books to the public. I'm wondering about reviews. Why do some authors have 500 and I have 3? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy, I've wondered the same thing about reviews. Maybe a lot of people don't know how to post them? I just don't know, but they sure would help. Wishing you a great new year with fun surprises!

      Delete
  8. Reviews take time just like your writing and we readers get caught up reading your great stories & forget to take time out to let others know how much we enjoyed our adventure. Yes big changes this year have already begun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for stopping in, Jake! I hope all the big changes are good ones!

    ReplyDelete