Monday, May 21, 2018

It's in the Blood




Although I write mysteries, “it’s in the blood” doesn’t refer to finding a dead body. It’s a reference to writing.

You may have noticed that from time to time I say, “I was talking to someone the other day, and…” Well, I talk to a lot of people. What can I say? I love chatting, especially about writing and books. I’ve even seen my daughter’s eyes glaze over when I start talking about writing and/or books.

So, the other day I talked to someone who’d just completed her first book. I asked her if she had a second book in mind. She said no, that one book was her limit. A few days later she said that, well, maybe there was another book or two in her. That’s when I realized that writing was in her blood.
 Me and Chocolate
Writing is addictive for a lot of authors. This is a good thing because what would we readers have to read if some of these prolific writers stopped working? I have an addiction to chocolate; I can’t stop at just one piece of candy. I now realize that the same holds true for writing. I couldn’t stop at just one book – or two or three. I’m now working on #19.

Here’s the deal: You finish your book (which includes editing and proofreading), you write a killer query letter, and you begin to look for a publisher (or you decide to self-publish). You sit and twiddle your thumbs while waiting for a response if you decided to go the way of a traditional publisher, and you start thinking, “Okay, this is boring. What do I do now? Hmm. I sure would like to write another story. I still have more things I’d like to say, and by the way, it was fulfilling and fun when I worked on the last story. But what should I write about? Do I want to write a lot of books or just one more? Or should those books I’m going to write equal a series? Would people want to read about the same characters over and over and over again? Hmm.”

Now you begin to realize that writing is in your blood. You can’t sit for too long without working on something, even if the work consists of just coming up with an idea. When you least expect it, a storyline comes to mind. No matter where the idea came from, you know you’ve got to run with it. You’re hooked on writing. You might even write a bestseller. It’s worth a shot, and in the meantime you might actually entertain some readers. Who knew? This writing stuff has suddenly become a career– an addiction or maybe an obsession. It’s in the blood.

There will be those scoffers who comment that they’re happy that you “have a little hobby to keep you busy now.” If they only knew how much work you put into your novel, they’d probably slap themselves silly. No, you can’t do that for them. No smackin’.

So go write your story and don’t feel guilty that you have this grand obsession. This is a good obsession, as long as you don’t forget that you have a family, and some other obligations – not that a family is an obligation. Listen to me, sticking my size six foot into my size five mouth. Not a pretty picture. But you get the point. Enjoy what you do and keep those stories coming. Me? I’ll be looking for your latest book. I love to be entertained. Keep up the good work.

Until next time, keep writing, and if you’re not a writer, keep reading. Readers make the literary world go round.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com


Speaking of Book #18… Well, I was thinking of Book #18, you might want to give Gin Mill Grill – A Sandi Webster Mystery a try. Think Prohibition, speakeasies and gin mills, and trying to solve a crime today that happened back in the day.

12 comments:

  1. Marja,
    I completely agree! Writing has been in my blood for as long as I can remember and I can't imagine doing anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to that, Pat! Are we having fun yet? You betcha. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Good blog, as always Marja. I know exactly what you mean. I didn't even wait a week when I submitted my last book to start writing notes for the next one. Writing is my life too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, Dorothy, it's in the blood. We can't help ourselves. LOL Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  3. You always know the right thing to say, that's why your blogs are so entertaining, and enlightening at the same time...just like your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evelyn! You just made my day. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I have enough book ideas in my head to keep me writing forever. I list them in my PC and slowly work through them, adding more as I go along. It's never ending. Wonderful blog, Marja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! You're living proof that writing is addictive and in the blood. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  5. I think my problem is trying to work on too many books at once. It's definitely in my blood, and I love it that way! Great post, Marja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I don't know how you can work on more than one book at a time. I couldn't do it. More power to you. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Someone asked me, 'how do you write so much?' Being a wiseacre, I replied, 'It's easy. Just don't do anything else.' That isn't exactly true, though I'm sure you know what I mean. Nothing else is quite so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, John. It's what we do, and I'm sure we have a lot more fun with writing than many other occupations. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete