Monday, August 13, 2018

Famous Like Dolly


A long time ago I saw Dolly Parton interviewed and I’ve never forgotten it. She said that way back when, she went to a recording company and told them she was going to be famous. She asked if they were with her or not. They were, and she is – famous, that is. Of course, I’m paraphrasing, but Ms. Parton’s enthusiasm is catching.


So right here, right now, I’m saying that I’m going to be famous one day. I hope. I sure can’t sing, and I’m no Mary Higgins Clark, but I definitely have my own style. Whew! Delusions of grandeur? I’m laughing at myself. No delusions, but a lot of hope and spirit. (Read to the end to find out what lesson I learned.)

Still paraphrasing, Ms. Parton said something to the effect that quirky people are many times the most creative. There ya go. I’m quirky, sometimes, although I prefer to call myself eccentric. Well, I probably just have some odd habits, especially when it comes to food. Anyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy chocolate. I also like nuts. However, I don’t like chocolate and nuts mixed together. My closet is color coordinated; all the blues together, yellows together, greens… Well, you get the idea. Maybe that’s not quirky. Maybe it’s compulsive?

Ms. Parton also said that she prays every day. We’re together on that one. So do I. There’s nothing more fulfilling than spending time with God.

Hmmm. Thanks to Dolly Parton, you’re learning more about me than I ever wanted anyone to know. I think she has a lot more self-confidence than I do though and she’s so down to earth. She’s an inspirational woman, whether she realizes it or not.

So I’m gonna be famous someday. I just hope it’s not for doing something ridiculous – like tripping in the grocery store and taking out an old lady in a wheelchair. Or being mistaken for a bank robber and going to jail until I can prove it’s a case of mistaken identity. Honestly, I don’t steal. I’m probably one of the most honest people you’d ever meet, except for those teeny tiny white lies many of us tell when we don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings. “Oh, yes, Edna. Yellow is definitely your color.” Yellow makes Edna look like an overripe banana, and a real friend would probably tell her, but I can’t stand hurting someone’s feelings.

How did I go from Dolly Parton to being famous one day to Edna looking like a banana? Maybe it’s part of the eccentricity; you know, the mind wanders. I’d prefer to believe that it’s just my brilliant mind leaping from subject to subject because I have so much to ponder and offer.

Back to Dolly. I admire this woman not only for her achievements, but also because she reminds me of someone with whom I could sit down and enjoy a cup of tea or a dessert, and with whom I could have a belly laugh. Doesn’t she have the sweetest laugh you’ve ever heard?

So, again, someday I’m going to be famous. And someday my wrinkles will miraculously disappear. Oh, I’m off topic again.

I’ll say this. I’ve never had more fun than when I’m writing a mystery, and that’s got to count for something. There’s nothing funny about murder, so obviously there’s some drama in my books. However, you’ll also find some humor between the book covers. I’d rather offer you a chuckle than add to your daily angst, and there's been plenty of that lately.

Well, Dolly made it and she’s famous, and she’s adorable, and she makes me smile. Maybe there’s still hope for me. I may not be adorable, but I do make a few people smile. There’s hope.

Until next time, do something adorable that makes people smile, and maybe one day you’ll be famous. If nothing else, at least you’ll be well-liked, and after all is said and done, that’s more important than being famous. (I may have just gotten my priorities straight - lesson learned.)


CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

Taking a vacation can lead to an unexpected case for private eye Sandi Webster-Goldberg.
Taking a vacation with your menopausal mother, an eccentric aunt, a pregnant friend and her husband, and a flustered husband can lead to total chaos.

Pete Goldberg and Stanley Hawks take a leisurely walk in the country, only to discover an abandoned house. When Sandi, her mother, Livvie, and her Aunt Martha decide to explore, they discover that the house isn’t quite as abandoned as previously thought.

A young woman and her baby are hiding out from unknown danger. She needs help, and the three women are more than happy to oblige her.


12 comments:

  1. What a great blog this week, Marja! I think all of us who write cozy mysteries are a bit or a lot quirky. Besides, it's just plain fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! I love quirky and I love making people smile. I hope you have a smile this morning. Thank you for stopping in today!

      Delete
  2. I loved this post, Marja. Dolly Parton is an inspiration, and I think you and she are alike in that regard, too.

    One Adventure Too Many sounds great--can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Amy! When I went to the store this weekend, I managed to smile at most of the people I ran into. Some looked surprised at having a stranger smile at them, and I noticed they walked away with a smile on their face. One of the lessons I've learned, which is an old lesson. You reap what you sow. That's kind of what this blog is about. Thank you so much for stopping in today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post, Marja. But I'm not so sure I'd want to be famous. Maybe because I value my privacy and, when you're in the public eye, you lose that.
    I do try to smile at people when I'm in public. Mostly because you never know how your smile could brighten someone's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, like I said, I learned my lesson as I mentioned at the end of the post. I don't truly have a desire to be famous. Just kind of a fun topic. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  5. When you become famous, I can say I knew you when... LOL! Your new mystery sounds fascinating. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Don't hold your breath, Evelyn. The new mystery is up in ebook format as of this afternoon. Paperback to follow soon. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  6. I'm too introverted to be famous. Although maybe I could be a Garbo-type of famous. "I vant to be alone."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Good answer, Maggie! I don't honestly want to be famous either, but it's fun to talk about it. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't want to be famous, but I like to share a smile, especially with someone who appears sad and lonely. I love Dolly Parton for a number of reasons, most of all her honesty, talent and humor. An excellent post, Marja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! I love putting a smile on someone's face, and you just put one on mine. Missed you. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete