Monday, October 8, 2018

The End


In vintage movies, when the story was over you’d see The End on the Screen. You knew without a doubt that the movie was over. It was time to leave the theater. How is it done in books?


I’ve read many articles that tell writers they need to start their story with a hook. You need to grab the reader right away. That’s true. When I wrote Awkward Moments – A Bogey Man Mystery, I started the story with the panicky voice of an eight-year-old boy calling to his mother while digging a hole to bury a dead bird he’d found.

            “Mother? I think you’d better come see this.”

As a mother, I’d go running based on his tone. Most mothers would. Why would a child be upset about digging a hole in the ground? They love doing that kind of stuff. The use of Mother, instead of Mom, was always a dead giveaway for me, too.

But what happens after the reader is hooked? You’ve written a good story and kept the reader entertained, but what about the ending? I’ve read books that leave you hanging so you’ll buy the next book. Sorry, but in most cases I don’t care for that type of ending. It’s fine to leave an opening for another book, but when I read I want a conclusion – a very definite conclusion. Wrap up the story. Make sure all the loose ends are neatly tied up. Let your characters take a deep breath and ready themselves for another day and another dilemma.

Believe it or not, Awkward Moments ended with a short line; “We left quietly.” Sometimes less is better.

Let your reader feel fulfilled when they put down your book. If they enjoyed the story, they’ll look for another book you’ve written. Let the ending be as good as the hook you opened the story with, and you’ll be glad you did.

Which of these two endings would you prefer?

“Okay, we solved the case. Now what? Wanna go to dinner?”

or

            Too bad the authorities didn’t know about Wolf Creek. Annie and the others might have lived to a ripe old age. But what happens in ghost towns, stays in ghost towns. (From Old Murders Never Die – A Sandi Webster Mystery)

Here are a few endings I enjoyed:

The Dark Wind by Tony Hillerman: “I won’t tell,” Horseman said. His voice was loud, rising almost to a scream. And then he turned and ran, ran frantically down the dry wash which drained away from the prairie-dog colony. And behind him he heard the Wolf laughing.

The Snow Queen’s Collie by Dorothy Bodoin: The Snow Queen’s collie. Rejected by her breeder, sold for a pittance, rescued from an unthinkable fate. Her story was just beginning.

The Ghost and the Dead Deb by Alice Kimberly: I’ll see you in your dreams, baby, he whispered. Then I felt the cool kiss of his presence temporarily recede, back into the fieldstone walls that had become his tomb.

This post isn’t something earthshaking. It’s just a reminder about closing lines. Make them as interesting as opening lines. I believe the ending can be every bit as important as the beginning, even though the mystery has already been solved.

Any comments? Yes? No? Indifferent?

Until next week, think about some of the books that had memorable ending lines you loved.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

Need a good laugh? Try One Adventure Too Many – A Sandi Webster Mystery and see if you like the last few lines.

Coming one of these days (only ten chapters done so far): People Lookin’ Half Dead – A Bogey Man Mystery.

14 comments:

  1. Your post is a great reminder for writers to give equal attention to the beginning and the end of a book. Sometimes we're so happy to get to the end of writing a novel that we're tempted to just end it without giving much thought to how we're ending it. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any endings that I've particularly loved, but I know I appreciate an ending that ties things up and makes me look forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Amy. Sometimes we're so glad to reach the ending that we don't think about making it memorable. Guess it's time to think about it, at least for me. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. Your endings always tie things up nicely, and make me look for forward to your next book in the series. I especially liked the last line in your latest mystery, One Adventure Too Many, "You'll see us again when you least expect it." I thought that was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evelyn! That line seemed to fit the characters to a "T". Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  3. I like John Grisham's ending in The Painted House: "When I could pull my eyes away from the window, I looked at my mother. Her head was resting on the back of her seat. Her eyes were closed and a grin was slowly forming at the corners of her mouth." It reminded me of my own mother, which brought tears to my eyes, but that's what good writing is supposed to do, elicit emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great example, Jean. It stuck with you and that means so much. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  4. I agree that things need to be all nicely tied up at the end. I have also written two book where I do both - tie all the loose ends up, but also leave things open for the next book. I like my books to be able to stand alone, even if they become a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you completely, Jackie! I like mine to be read as standalones, too, although I'm not sure how successful I am. : ) We do the best we can. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  5. How about, Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." ??

    Good blog, Marja. Sometimes writers are so tired of the book they just want it to end. What I hate is a book that ends with no conclusion--with the rest of the story in the next book. I've come across two like that lately. I hope it isn't a trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy! Great example. I guess if someone wanted to write a really long book, like Jean M. Auel, they could get the whole story into one book, but people like me prefer a shorter story most of the time, and a good conclusion. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  6. I also agree that a story line should be tied up at the end. Sometimes it has been maddening to get to the end and realize the ending is a cliffhanger and the story turns into a series. I have nothing against series but I think each book should have a proper ending although the main characters go on to other adventures in subsequent books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like things to be tied up, too, and I enjoy an ending line that sticks with me. I don't want to have to buy the next book, and I don't like it when a story just fizzles out and stops. Just me. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  7. Remember the bedtime stories our parents read to us when we were children? Once upon a time. . . and then the story. At the end, all loose ends were tied up and there was always a happy - or at least, a hopeful - ending. I guess I'm still a kid at heart because I still enjoy books that end that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the ending lines in children's stories were memorable, but it's been too many years to remember. LOL Closing lines can make a lot of difference, surprisingly. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete