Monday, December 17, 2018

Ho Ho Ho


(Since Christmas Eve is a week from today, on a Monday, I’m sharing my Christmas post with you now.)

Once a year I write about my holiday beliefs. This is your lucky day.

I thought and thought about what to write for my Christmas blog. I read about the origins of celebrating on December 25th, and then I thought some more. I know from reading the Bible, books, articles and listening in church that Christ wasn’t actually born on that date, but eventually it was chosen as a day to celebrate His birth. I still wasn’t sure what I’d write about. Logically, a Christian should probably celebrate His birth every single day of the year. Many of us do.

Then I remembered a song. It’s the only song that will make me cry no matter where I am or what I’m doing. It doesn’t matter if I’m shopping at the mall or sitting at my desk, or even watching television. If I hear this song, it makes me cry. O Holy Night is the most beautiful and powerful music I’ve ever heard.

When the verse comes up that says, “Fall on your knees, and hear the angels voices…” I just blubber. The funny thing is that I very seldom cry, and yet this song will do it every time.

CLICK HERE to hear O Holy Night, and listen to the end. I’m amazed that Charlotte Church (love her last name) can hit that oh-so-high note.

Christmas has been neatly deleted from schools, public buildings, stores and all types of places, but the joy of the Lord is still in my heart. Someone might wish me Happy Holidays, but I’ll always wish them a Merry Christmas.

Yes, Santa came to our house when I was a child, to my house when my daughter was small, and he kept coming after my grandson was born. However, first and foremost was the real reason for celebrating – the birth of Christ. We never lost sight of the real reason.

I know not everyone believes the way I do, and that’s okay. Celebrate whatever you want to in any way that pleases you. I’ll do the same.

Someone might think, “But, hey! She writes murder mysteries. How could a Christian write something like that?” Well, there really are murders and there really are mysteries. My intent isn’t to gross someone out, but to entertain. While there is drama in my books, there’s also some humor. My characters, for the most part, have heart. They’re just ordinary people who sometimes find themselves involved in extraordinary circumstances. Although one of my characters goes to church every week, the books aren’t religious. Oh, well, there were a couple of books that included some Church Ladies who wanted to help solve crimes, but they still aren’t religious stories. And the ladies were fun and funny.

No, I don’t keep my Christianity and writing exclusive from each other. I’m simply not a writer of religious stories. Might be fun though.

So back to Christmas and O Holy Night. I confess, as if you couldn’t tell already, I’m a Christian and I love the Lord with all my heart. And I celebrate each and every day. I pray for people. I try to do the right thing, but often fail miserably. Am I perfect? Absolutely not! I make more mistakes than you can shake a stick at, but I am forgiven, thanks to the birth of one small boy.

In addition to the song, I have a favorite decoration. It’s a figurine of Santa Clause, hat in hand, kneeling by a cradle and showing his love for the baby Jesus.

So when you tell your children about St. Nicolas, be sure you tell them about the real meaning of Christmas first. Tell them about the child who came to teach us, to love us, and to care for us.

Talk to them about caring for each other. In these difficult times, it’s warmed my heart to hear about people paying for other people’s layaway items without asking for recognition. They just wanted to help someone who was having a difficult time. I watch when people drop money in the bucket outside of stores, and as others pull names from a Christmas tree in the store to buy a gift for a child they don’t know. Toys for Tots? Excellent! Food delivered for Christmas dinner? Someone – many someones – helped out again.

Until next time, unpolitically correct Me wishes you a Very Merry Christmas, and please, remember the real reason for the season. He loves you, and so do I.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

Need a last minute Christmas gift? Try a book.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely post and Merry Christmas, Marja, with good-wishes across the miles to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madeline, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas to you, too, Marja. You've packed a lot of thought in this blog post. How much better our world would be if everybody took these words to heart. Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy! I wish you a peaceful and memorable Christmas.

      Delete
  3. A very merry Christmas to you as well, Marja. I share your love of Christ and "Oh, Holy Night." Most of my mysteries have characters who pray and the cover of my recent suspense novel features a woman praying on the cover (Girl on the Precipice). If only the Christmas spirit would continue throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only, Jean. Maybe one day we'll see things come together. One can always hope. And a very Merry Christmas to you, too.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post, Marja! I wish you a very Merry Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours, too.

      Delete
  5. People are saying the word CHRIST every time they wish someone a merry Christmas, but not all of them remember He's the reason we celebrate. I am always striving to be a better Christian, but I make lots of mistakes, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

    I wish you and yours a blessed Christmas and all the best in 2019.

    O, Holy Night happens to be my favorite Christmas song, followed in a close second place by What Child is This.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts, Amy. I wish you and yours a blessed Christmas, too. I lost my aunt over the weekend, but the blessing is that we had her for as long as we did. She was a special part of our lives.

      Delete
  6. Lovely post! Merry Christmas, Marja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat, and Merry Christmas to you, too!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful blog, Marja. The true meaning of Christmas is sometimes forgotten. When I was growing up, on Christmas Eve, we visited all the churches in our neighborhood, there were 5 of them, and we stayed at the last one to attend Midnight Mass. You can't visit churches anymore, their doors are locked. A sign of the times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evelyn. Yes, times have definitely changed, but I'm glad you're from a generation when you could visit all five churches. Merry Christmas!

      Delete