Monday, July 9, 2018

I Never Met a Chocolate I Didn't Like


Most people, both real and fictional, have something they’re addicted to, or maybe they consider it a habit. In the case of one of my characters, Sandi Webster, it’s a chocolate addiction. Sandi finds herself in a situation where she’s stranded in a ghost town and, horror of horrors, she’s out of chocolate. When her partner asks her what the deal is with chocolate, she says:

** “I can’t explain it,” I replied. “If I’m in a bad mood, chocolate will perk me up. One time when I was frightened, I ate a whole box of Bordeauxs, a specialty candy. They kept me going. There’s a type of chocolate called ganache. It’s chocolate mixed with heavy cream, and it’s… It’s a taste that can’t be described. Chocolate is sweet, but not like other sugary candy. As it melts in your mouth, it leaves its own unique flavor bouncing off the tongue and back again. I’ve read that dark chocolate has some healthy attributes, but unfortunately I prefer the light chocolate. It’s kind of like a nerve tonic for me.” I put my hand to my mouth, checking to be sure there wasn’t a trail of drool on my chin.

Does this, by any chance, sound like I understand Sandi’s addiction? Well, yes, I do. I wrote from experience and actually downplayed it.

 My Hero

Writers can give their characters all kinds of addictions or habits. As you can tell, candy can be one of them. However, a fictional character might also be fighting against an addiction to cigarettes or alcohol, or any number of other things. Some characters may be addicted to using certain words in their dialogue. It happens.

In all honesty, I believe having things they have to battle makes them more real to the reader, and maybe more relatable.

Before describing what she feels chocolate does for her, Sandi runs into a wall, figuratively speaking.

**I reached for my chocolate. There was no more chocolate. I searched through my backpack, but it was all gone. My heart thumped a couple of extra beats and I wondered if this was the way a smoker might feel if they ran out of cigarettes and there were no more. Anywhere. Well, I’m a bigger person that that. I could live without chocolate. Piece of cake.

When her partner, Pete, realizes she’s out of chocolate, he reacts.

** He took a step back. He knew. If he had any chocolate, he’d probably run out the front door and toss it to me as he ran by, and I doubted he’d be back until I’d eaten every last bite.

When we give our characters idiosyncrasies or addictions, the other characters have room to react and emphasize the problem. Many times the characters play off of each other. Chocolate may be a small thing to many, but it can help keep the story moving, as can other habits or addictions.

Unfortunately, when I write about Sandi and her chocolate, I find myself developing a craving. Consequently? I keep a candy dish on my desk with goodies in it.

Now that I think about it, I don’t recall giving Pete an addiction, other than he likes to keep busy. The same can be said about many men and women. I think some women react differently to things that keep them motivated. Curiosity will keep women motivated and, whether they’ll admit it or not, many men are the same way.

The point is, think about keeping your characters real. Maybe a specific color will play a part in their lives. It doesn’t always have to be an addiction to a specific thing. Can you become addicted to a color? (I’m shrugging my shoulders.) I love yellow. It’s cheerful. There’s a lot of yellow in my life. I even have a yellow trench coat.

Watch the people around you and pay attention to your own habits. You’ll begin to see things that fit a character in your book, even if it’s a character who only plays a part in one book.

Think about it. What addiction or habit might make your characters memorable? Peanut butter? Ice cream? Jelly beans? A particular car? A song? Maybe a cranky attitude. What might endear your character to readers?

Until next time, try to give something up and see how well you do. Of course, in my case chocolate will be the exception.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=marja+mcgraw&sprefix=Marja+Mc%2Caps%2C538&crid=255Z10SH9MRL3

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website (Sorely in need of updating)
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

Is Gin Mill Grill – A Sandi Webster Mystery about an addiction? Probably not, but you might give the book a try.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=marja+mcgraw&sprefix=Marja+Mc%2Caps%2C538&crid=255Z10SH9MRL3
 Yes, that is a mummy sitting in the chair

10 comments:

  1. Great advice, Marja. I'll always remember that chocolate is one of Sandi's weaknesses. I think the other is Pete? LOL! I had one of my characters addicted to tiny peppermints, her version of Xanax, and horse racing. Which made her a memorable character. (I hope.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evelyn. Yes, I remember your character well. She is memorable and she stuck with me. Good point about Pete. : )

      Delete
  2. I agree 100%! Real people have flaws and addictions and, if we want our characters to be believable, they need to have them too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. The more believable, the better. We all have flaws of one kind or another.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, CHOCOLATE! Fellow addict here. Excellent thoughts on characters. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thank you, Madeline! We'll have to share some chocolate one day.

      Delete
  4. When the author has a weakness, it's easier to write about the weakness a character may have, even if it's a different vice. My weakness for cheese might translate into a weakness for chocolate for one of my characters. The other thing that's great about an author's weakness is the ability to write knowledgeably about it--for example, I like whisky and I'm able to include it in my books set in Scotland without sounding like it's being forced. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it doesn't sound forced, Amy. Notice my thoughts on chocolate aren't forced, either. You have another good point, too, and that's being able to translate one of our weaknesses into a different item.

      Delete
  5. No one can believe in a character who doesn't have at least one flaw. An addiction doesn't necessarily have to be a flaw but, rather, a weakness making them human. We can relate to such failings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit it on the mark, John. The reader is going to enjoy a story just a bit more if they can relate to the characters. Weakness is a good choice of words.

      Delete