Monday, March 18, 2019

A New Week


It’s a new week and I have some new thoughts, which is actually a dual-edged sword. On one side I’m glad I’m still sharp enough to have new thoughts, and on the other side I never know in which direction they’ll head.

I have a new book coming out soon, titled “People Lookin’ Half Dead.” It’s part of the Bogey Man series. In the past I’ve included a gaggle of Church Ladies, but for this one they’re out of town. Yes, even Church Ladies enjoy becoming involved in a good mystery, and they’ll be sorry they missed this one.

That’s enough self-promotion for now.

Occasionally I include guest authors on my blog. I’m an author, but I’m also a reader. What better way to find out about authors and their books than to have them as a guest? We can learn what motivates them and where some of their stories come from. Just when I think I’ve got writers figured out, they come along and tell stories which surprise me. Dorothy Bodoin, Marilyn Meredith, Patricia Gligor and Evelyn Cullet are just a few authors who’ve visited.

I surprised a few people when I told a story on someone else’s blog about having to search a women’s restroom for a bomb without any training back in the 1970s, and I’ve repeated the story here. Things were very, very different at that time. When I worked in Personnel for a civil law enforcement agency, a job applicant threatened to kill me because she didn’t get the job she’d applied for. It didn’t matter that I hadn’t made the decision not to hire her and I didn’t have any input. She told me to watch my back because she’d get me when I least expected it. Okay, so I’m still here and she never went to work for the agency she’d applied to, but good grief! All I did was administer a typing test. I’ve got a lifetime of stories, and people wonder why I became a mystery writer.

Authors have lots of stories and if you’ll give them the chance, they’re more than happy to share. Some of the stories are sad, and some are quite funny. All you have to do is sit down and ask questions – and listen.

As Chris Cross (a Humphrey Bogart look-alike) would say, I want the skinny about mystery writers and the capers they’ve been involved in. Give me the lowdown – all the background behind the writer. Tell me where you’ve been and where you’re going. I want it all.

Ever hear of reciprocity? I sincerely believe that what goes around, comes around. So if I give someone a chance to discuss themselves and their books, then on occasion someone else will allow me to do the same, or they’ll pay it forward. It’s a win-win situation.

In the process, I find new books to read and make new friends. How much better can it get? Well, maybe my books could become bestsellers appearing on a bestseller list, but if not, I’m still have a great time and meeting some outstanding people.

So I’ll continue to have guest authors visit from time to time and I’ll promote my books, too. And on occasion I’ll do a blog about writing issues. I almost did one about overused words this week, but I have to admit that I was bored with it. Oh, well…

If you’d like to be a guest here, please let me know in your comments or email me at mystery@marjamcgraw.com. I can’t guarantee a spot, but I’ll do my best. Please remember this space is a mystery site.

Until next time, do for others and just maybe they’ll pass it on and do for someone else.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

By the way, here’s the completed new book cover:




13 comments:

  1. Marja,
    I LOVE the new cover and I can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! It should be out in a few weeks. I know you're working on a new book, too, and look forward to it. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Marja,

    You must be getting excited to put another book out there in the world! I look forward to reading it. I would love to do a blog post for you, and I'd like to invite you to do the same for Reade and Write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I'll email you. And thank you for stopping in today!

      Delete
  3. Me, too,LOVE your cover, especially LOVE the colors and then the silhouette--grabs me immediately. Can't wait for a new Bogey Man mystery--yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mad! This is about homeless people and I thought the silhouette looked rather despondent. Thank you so much for stopping in today!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Great book cover. A real eye-catcher. Metaphorically speaking of course You can't really catch an eye. Flying body parts-Yikes! Don't mind me, I'm in one of those silly moods this morning. Anyway, your new novel sounds great. Can't wait to read it. And of course, I'd love to have you on my blog. BTW, thanks for mentioning me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evelyn, and you're welcome on my blog anytime. Flying body parts? LOL Thank you so much for stopping in today!

      Delete
  5. I'm late in reading your blog this week due to my eye problems. You touched on a lot of ideas, which I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I hope your eye problems improve. Thank you so much for stopping in today!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love your blogs, Marja. So informative -- and fun! I love your sense of humor. Your new book cover is great. My own book, published in 2014 by Oak Tree, is being published as a second edition by Sunbury Press and will be released shortly. It's not a mystery, but if you and I could think of something mystery-ish, maybe I could be one of your guests. Happy first day of spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. I'll email you and we'll "talk." Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete