Monday, March 4, 2019

What Happened?


When you finish a book, what’s the first thing you do? Sigh loudly and grin? Jump up and down in your chair? Wave your arms in the air and act like an idiot? Or maybe you just take a deep breath and breathe again. On the other hand, if you’re like me, you do all of the above and forget everything you should be doing, like writing last week’s post.

People Lookin’ Half Dead – A Bogey Man Mystery is about to be edited and will be available soon. Right now I’m working on the cover, which is a whole ‘nother story, but think hot summer with record-breaking temperatures. And in the midst of the heat, homeless people are disappearing.

 Rough draft of the book cover. It will probably change. Well, yes, it will change.

Quite by accident, and with the help of Chris Cross’s grandmother, he and his wife, Pamela, become involved – again. Keep the heat in mind because it’s not going anywhere, and neither are the people who live on the street – with the exception of the few who are disappearing.

There was a young, tall, very thin homeless man whom I saw at a fast food place in Arizona. He was so dirty that his skin looked ashen. All he wanted was a drink of water. He was so soft-spoken and polite that you had to listen closely to hear him. I’ve never forgotten him, and he inspired this story. I wish I could have known what happened to him, but since I don’t, I gave him his own story.

There’s a touch of humor in the book. Even homeless people can laugh at life sometimes.

What about the book cover? Have you ever looked at an asphalt street during the hottest part of summer? Have you noticed the heat waves emanating from the asphalt? I wish I could have found a photo like that to use for my book cover, but I guess you can’t photograph heat waves. So I’m sticking with a very hot sun and a view of the city from a distance. Simple authors create simple covers.

Once the book is released I’ll look at doing some promotion. I haven’t really promoted much over the past few years. Oh, well… Life has changed and so have I.

The next book will be another Sandi Webster Mystery, but I haven’t decided on the subject matter yet. Another cold case? Maybe. Something current? We’ll see. I’ll be as surprised as you.

Back to the grindstone. I can’t seem to get the cover quite right. At least it keeps me busy while I try to dream up another escapade.

What do you do when you type The End at the finish of your story? Something exciting, I hope.

Until next time, I wish you a week of beginnings instead of endings. Maybe your personal story is just about to begin, and I hope it’s filled with laughter.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com


12 comments:

  1. Great topic for a mystery novel! I can't wait to read the book!
    I marvel at the way you no sooner finish one book and you're already looking for ideas for the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! Writing is what I do, and I need to keep busy. : ) Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  2. When I finish one of my books, I sigh with relief although I never feel that the book is "finished". There just comes a time when I have to stop. Looking forward to reading People Lookin' Half Dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it, Pat. We can reread and edit and rewrite 'til the cows come home, but at some point we have to call it good and move on. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  3. After I type, The End, I heave a deep sigh, and go back and edit it a couple of times. And just when I think it's perfect, I give the manuscript to my editor. And then there are more edits I have to fix. (Sigh) I'm looking forward to reading People Lookin' Half Dead. Sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you sometimes wonder if the editing will ever end, Evelyn? Thankfully, it does. Still working on the cover. I don't like the colors in the one above and I want a few changes. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to another Bogey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John, and thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Ah, the joy of finishing a book! Then the real work begins. I enjoy the edits but promotions gives me cold chills. I love your title and book cover, Marja, and can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. I've already changed the book cover several times, and with editing I'm sure I'll make changes to the story. What fun. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  6. After I type The End I usually pick up the next project on my desk. Or I clean a bathroom. Then I wait a day or two and start the edits. There's always something to work on, which is part of the reason I love writing so much. Looking forward to the new book, Marja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! Like you, I need a little time before I start the edits. And, like you, I love writing. Cleaning the bathroom? Not so much. : ) Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete