Monday, September 4, 2017

Courage



One of our own lives in Texas and has been devastated by the flooding. Jean Henry Mead lost everything, leaving her home with only her dog and one change of clothes.


Jean had been emailing me every day to give me updates, and all of a sudden the emails stopped coming. I waited for a couple of days because I didn’t want to interrupt her if she was in the process of evacuating, and then I called her cell phone.

As it turns out she couldn’t evacuate because the roads that weren’t flooded were closed. The water kept rising and it was up to her waist. A neighbor helped her and Mariah (her dog) to the neighbor’s house where they slept in the attic until they were rescued the next day; of course, by boat.

If this had happened to me, I’d probably be whining and carrying on. Not Jean. She said that everything happens for a reason, and hopefully she’d eventually know what that reason is. She also said, and this is where the author in her shines, that she has a lot of material for a new book. Of course she has; she just lived through it and I doubt she’ll ever forget even a minute.

Her brother is going to drive her to the house today, since the water has receded, to see if anything is salvageable. Smart woman that she is, she mailed her family photos to her daughter when she heard what was headed their way, and she emailed her latest manuscript to me, just in case. Just in Case happened, and she lost her computer, along with everything else.

I can’t even imagine going through what she and the other people have been through. It breaks my heart. They’re all heroes, each in their own way, and that includes both the rescuers and the victims. Honestly? I don’t think they’re thinking of themselves as victims, but more as survivors.

Jean sounds very tired, and yet she’s managed to make the best out of the worst. She called Sunday morning as she stood in a very long line at a pharmacy. Life goes on and when faced with tragedy, we still have to do what needs to be done.

When you’re writing your books, keep people like Jean in mind. She’s had the courage to keep going, to try to pick herself up and move on, and she’s not out of the woods yet.

I appreciate the people who’ve done what they can to raise money for the flood survivors, no matter what the amount.

Like I said, I just can’t imagine…

Until next week, take heart, keep praying, and thank you for the example you and the others have set, Jean. Things will begin to look up. It takes time.

If you want to donate to the Hurricane Harvey survivors, I've added a link to the Red Cross:


20 comments:

  1. Marja,
    What a beautiful tribute to a courageous woman. My heart and my prayers go out to Jean and to all the other survivors of this horrible natural disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! I applaud them all for their courage.

      Delete
  2. All week long I couldn't imagine the horror the people of Houston and surrounding areas were going through. Thank you for posting such a touching tribute to someone who had to go through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Pat. I don't know how they're keeping it all together.

      Delete
  3. I empathize with everything the people and animals are going through in Texas. I don't know Jean, but I wish I did as her courage and spirit are amazing. I doubt if I could meet a tragedy like this with such valor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, Dorothy. I wish I could do more to help.

      Delete
  4. Marja,
    Would it be possible, with Jean's permission of course, to get her mailing address? As a writer, I would like to support another writer, maybe others who receive your blog would too and send any small amount to help her instead of through a larger organization. Let's try to help her directly if possibly. Yours and others thoughts.
    Marcia
    M. Glenda Rosen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcia. I don't know when I'll be talking to her again because her life is so "iffy" right now. I'll pass this along to her.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for informing us about Jean's situation. She's a strong woman and will survive, but I pray she and the many others will get the help they so desperately need. When you talk to her next, tell her we're thinking about her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many prayers, good wishes, and hopeful thoughts to Jean as she deals with this situation. She is blessed to have a neighbor who could take her in until she was rescued. I know there are groups in my county that are collecting different items for those who have lost so much, and as I understand it different regions of the country are being asked to contribute different supplies. Hang in there, Jean! You'll get through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things Jean lost was her computer. I'm sure she'd appreciate all of the good wishes and offers of help.

      Delete
  7. Thoughts and good wishes going Jean's way. So so scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine, like I said. The people in Texas are setting a wonderful example.

      Delete
  8. I feel sorry for Jean, I really do. It's hard losing everything. I thought it was bad when we got three feet of water in our basement a few years ago. Nothing down there was worth salvaging, and it was quite a bit. So I can just imagine what's it's like for her only on a much larger scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needless to say, Evelyn, it's been pretty traumatic, but she's managed to keep her cool anyway.

      Delete
  9. We evacuated on a mandatory level for the Springville fire, I brought my computer with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope things are okay for you now, Marilyn, and I'm sorry to hear you had to evacuate. Smart move to take your computer.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing this, Marja. So tragic -- yet Jean's spirit is commendable! God bless her and all the others who have suffered through this horrendous storm.

    ReplyDelete