Monday, September 11, 2017

The Art of the Cliffhanger



The definition of a cliffhanger is a story or event with a strong element of suspense just at the right moment. It leaves you figuratively hanging on by your fingertips. I love a chapter that ends with a good cliffhanger.

 
 
I’m critiquing a new work in progress by Dorothy Bodoin, and the last chapter I read made me suck in my breath and look for more. I had to know what was going to happen next, but unfortunately for me, the next chapter hadn’t been written yet.

Good cliffhangers will keep the reader reading, wanting more. The only problem is that you may have to put down the book to take care of business, and you don’t want to.

I once had a wonderful phone call, at 6:00 in the morning, from a book store manager. She said she was so mad at me that she could scream. Of course, I couldn’t figure out what I might have done. It turns out she picked up Old Murders Never Die just to read the first chapter and see what it was about. She said she couldn’t put it down and that she read the entire book that night, never getting any sleep. Unfortunately, she had to be at work by 5:00 that morning. I laughed and filed that away as one of the nicest compliments I’d ever received. She forgave me and I thanked her.

If your book has suspenseful moments, hang-by-your-fingernails moments, work them into the end of a chapter. Let the readers’ internal music work its way to a crescendo and then satisfy them with the next chapter. Even if the cliffhanger questions aren’t answered (it may not be the right time), let there be some type of closure for the reader. Don’t frustrate your fans, but keep them reading. Not every person has internal music, but think of some of the movies you’ve seen. Alfred Hitchcock had some great suspenseful music in Psycho. I think some people relate that to books they’re reading.

There’s one author whose stories I find haunting, and I don’t mean ghosts. I mean the kind of story that grabs you and draws you in. I can almost hear the haunting music while I read her work. M.M. Gornell’s books have that effect on me.

Patricia Gligor draws me in, too. It seems like there’s always something just around the corner and waiting to grab me in the next chapter.

The authors are too many to name them all, but they keep me reading with their cliffhangers and just enough detail to make it seem real. Even the humorous mysteries have plenty of room for cliffhangers.

“The squeak of the door told me someone was sneaking up behind me. The creak of the floorboard made me cringe and quickly turn, but…” Uh oh. End of chapter. What happened next?

Well, it’s just my opinion, but I love great cliffhangers – just not at the end of the book. I don’t like being left hanging and having to look for a Part II book. As a reader, I want a good conclusion that makes sense and ties up all hanging threads.

How do you feel about cliffhangers? Do they keep you reading or do they frustrate you?

Until next time, have a good week and I hope nothing happens to leave you hanging on for dear life.

P.S. My prayers go out to both Texas and Florida and all the states with fire issues, and the heroes who live and work there. And thanks to the firefighters in California, Oregon, Washington and Montana. The rest of us are all doing what we can to help.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

10 comments:

  1. I love a good cliffhanger too but, like you, not at the end of a book. When I read the last page, I want to feel satisfied that all loose ends are tied up.
    Thanks for the mention, Marja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Pat. Give me a good cliffhanger at the end of a chapter, and I'm happy. We're in agreement about the end of a book. : ) Thank you for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once thought that a mystery writer who was writing a series should end with a cliffhanger. So, I ended my first novel with one. My mother was furious and so were other friends. I learned never to do that again. I quit reading a suspenseful series by one of my favorite authors because each book led into the next one with a cliffhanger. But I love cliffhangers as endings to chapters as long as the book's ending wraps up everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel just like you do, Pat. I have to admit that it's fun to write a cliffhanger at the end of a chapter. : ) Thank you for stopping in!

      Delete
  4. Great blog, Marja, and thanks for the nod. Actually that chapter is written now and a few more. I agree with you about the power of a cliffhanger and have learned to work them into the outline. Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I left a reply and it disappeared with the wind. Thank you, Dorothy. Can't wait to see what happens next. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  5. I once ended a novel with a cliffhanger and got shot down by by editor. I won't make that mistake again, but I try to end every chapter with one if it's possible. I learned a long time ago that if you end a chapter with the characters going to bed, that makes it easy for the reader to put the book down and do the same. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, Evelyn! You do a good job with cliffhangers, too. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  6. I can't imagine a better compliment than from the book store owner who couldn't stop reading Old Murders Never Die. Still one of favorites! Concluding a story so a reader is satisfied after spending the time going into your world, and leaving a nuget toward the future I think is tricky business and worth thinking a lot about. But I had a writing teacher who emphasized every Chapter should end with "something" that grabs the reader and makes them want to read on. (And some say writing is easy. Ha!)You do "that" quite well, Marja, as the book store owner's call to you--but as you know, I also love your books. Thanks for the mention, so glad you enjoy my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madeline! I appreciate your comments. I love trying to create a cliffhanger, and I agree completely with your writing teacher. Thank you for stopping in!

      Delete