Monday, February 26, 2018

A New Book (Coming Soon) - A New Cover



I’ve read that titles initially draw the attention of readers, and covers often come in second. If the books are facing outward, generally the cover will grab my eye first. If not facing outward, I scan the titles.

The title of Sandi Webster’s latest adventure will be, Gin Mill Grill – A Sandi Webster Mystery. It’s not quite finished yet, but the gist of the story is that someone wants Sandi to solve a murder from the early 1930s which indirectly involves an old speakeasy from the Prohibition era.

A few huge surprises await Sandi when she begins looking into the cold case. As often happens, things aren’t always as they appear. Additionally, why would someone from a younger generation be taking an interest in the old crime? Yes, Sandi’s in trouble again.

In the 1930s, a man was murdered and his brother disappeared. The police are pretty sure they know who committed the murder, but how did the brother disappear so completely and without a trace? Did he really take his brother’s life? Why?

There’s more to Horace and Harley Glosser’s story than anyone might suspect.

Like I said, that’s the gist of the story. However, there’s more to a book than just the story itself. A book cover would be nice. This is a “friend of a friend” situation. Dori Pendergrass is a friend of a friend, and now my friend. She’s also an artist, and she agreed to paint the cover for this latest book. Here’s a preview:

 

Yes, that’s a mummy sitting in a chair with a small Chiweenie on his lap. (Dogs do the darnedest things.) I’d explain, but you’ll want to read the book when it comes out to understand the dynamics.

The exciting part to me is that I have the original painting hanging over my fireplace.

I normally create my own book covers. I’m certainly no expert, but I sure have fun putting them together. Once in a while, I’m able to use photos I’ve taken myself, like the black butterfly, which visited in my own backyard. These are my personal three favorites:




And now I have a Dori Pendergrass painting to add to my list of favorites.

I’ve also created a few Book Trailers that can be found on my website on The Books Page. Those were a lot of fun to put together, too.

But then there’s the dreaded marketing and promoting. Some authors love this part of the process. I’m not one of them. To me, those are the most difficult parts of getting a book “out there.” Wouldn’t most of us just love to write a book, have it placed on a shelf, and move on to the next story? It doesn’t work that way, and I’ve been quite lax about the process for the past couple of years.

I kept writing, but life got in the way of the process. Well, life goes on, and so do I. It’s time to start thinking up some new promotional ideas. Maybe I should go back and read some of my old blogs. I offered advice to others but failed to follow my own advice.

Anyway, now you know a little about the story and you’ve seen the cover. Other than writing the book, what part of the process do you find to be the most fun or most fulfilling? The curious want to know.

Until next time, do something book-related this week and enjoy yourself. Read a new book, write a new book, browse at the bookstore or online. (I still enjoy a brick and mortar bookstore, but that’s just me.)

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website (I will update it soon.)
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

 

10 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your new Sandi Webster mystery!
    You asked what part of the process - other than the writing - I enjoy the most. For me, it's the proofreading and editing. When I finish the last chapter, I try to put the manuscript aside for a bit so that, when I'm proofreading, I have the freshest eyes possible. I love to proofread (and edit) but it's so much easier when it's another writer's book because, in my own books, my eyes tend to see what my mind "thinks" I wrote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean, Pat. I think we read what we meant to write sometimes. I enjoy the process, too, because hopefully it can only make the book better. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very provocative cover for your book, Marja. Dogs and mummies. I'll bet no artist ever thought of that. I love all your own covers, but especially the one for Old Murders. That was truly inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy! Old Murders is my favorite of all the books. I have to admit that I love the covers your publisher does for your books. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Nice cover, intriguing plot. Aside from the actual writing, I'd say having a publisher say 'yes.' Writing is the most fun; marketing, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John! Oh, the word "yes" makes things so much more fun. As far as marketing, you're a man after my own heart. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great story, I can't wait to read it. Love the Sandi Webster mysteries. The book cover is rather intriguing. Marketing, ugh. Not what I like doing best. I would rather be putting the words, The End, on a new manuscript. Not to take anything away from your new book, but I thought you might like to know that I just okayed the final proof for my latest mystery, You Bet Your Life. It's the first book in a new cozy mystery series I'm writing, so you're kind of the first to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm flattered to hear about your new book AND the new series, Evelyn! Be sure to let me know when the book is released. Love your first series. : ) Yeah, marketing, ugh! Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  6. So much in this post! First, I love the cover and you're very lucky to have the original painting in your home! The story sounds great. I love murders from the past that somehow conjure interest from people in the present.

    Research is my favorite part of the writing process, though plotting the story and writing it out come in a close second. Marketing is definitely at the bottom of my list. But it has to be done, doesn't it?

    Great post as always, Marja. I'm so happy for you that you've got a new book in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Amy! I enjoy research, too, in most cases. I can tell by reading your books that you've done your fair share. Marketing and promotion are more of a job to me so, like you, they're at the bottom of the list.

    I hope to have the new book done within the next month or so. Thank you so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete