Monday, February 12, 2018

Mystery Writer Meets Mystery



Several years ago a friend and I had to put our detecting skills to work. After all, we write mysteries and we’d know how to do that.

I have two close friends, who for privacy reasons I’ll call Brenda and Jackie, who also write mysteries. The three of us live in different states and we’re spread from the west coast to the east coast. Brenda was moving to a new home and Jackie and I knew we’d be out of touch with her for a few days. Not a big deal, right?

Well, a few days went by, and then a few more days, and still no word from Brenda. We tried to call her on her cell phone, but it went straight to voice mail. Jackie and I began to worry, which is something we do well. We’ve had plenty of practice.

 Where's Brenda?

It suddenly struck Jackie and me that we write mysteries for a living. If anyone could track Brenda down it should be us, because after all, we know how to do these things. We write about them. We research them. We lined up our facts and moved on from there. We knew that Brenda had hired a moving company that was owned and run by women. We knew when and where she was moving to, although we didn’t have the new address yet. And we both knew how to use the Internet. It would be a piece of cake. Uh huh.

I checked online for moving companies in the area we were interested in that were owned by women. I found one, and only one. Remember, this was a long time ago and not every company showed up online. Well, I called the company, but they said they’d never heard of Brenda and they said that they were the only female-owned company in the area. It never dawned on me that they might say that because they didn’t want me checking with the competition. That was one of my bigger Duh Moments during this caper.

I checked a map and the Internet for the small town that our friend was moving to, and called both the local police station and the county Sheriff. They couldn’t help me because I didn’t have enough information.

Then Jackie hit on something. She’d saved some emails from Brenda and she thought maybe the recipients of those notes could help us locate friends or family. She was right. The address line held names that had become familiar to us from stories Brenda had shared.

We began emailing people who’d probably never heard of us. As it turned out, Brenda had mentioned us, so they were great about helping with the search. A friend had received a phone call from Brenda, but the connection had been terrible. At least she’d heard something.

As it turned out, Brenda didn’t have good phone service at the new home, and no Internet connection was readily available – the woes of living in a rural area. On top of that, her electricity had gone out during a storm.

Where did we get our information? Her ex-husband had received one of our emails. What a guy! He’d been in touch with her.

So Jackie and I ended up feeling pretty good about our deductive reasoning skills, and maybe this little exercise would help us in telling some of our stories. In the meantime, we were grateful that our friend was okay.

The point of this story? Sometimes it takes a writer’s mind to figure out a mystery without the aid of a private eye or the police. If this had happened today, you can bet we would have taken even more steps to find our friend, but in the meantime, we patted each other on the back – figuratively speaking, since we lived in different states.

Until next time, wishing you a fun little mystery of your own and the skills to solve it.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website (To be updated soon)
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

10 comments:

  1. Life is full of mysteries. For one, I'm trying to figure out what happened to my missing bread knife which was about 11 or 12 inches long. I've looked everywhere. It's been gone over a year. So far my detecting skills haven't led me to it. Good blog, Marja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy! A missing knife? Sounds like an element for a mystery to me. :) Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Leaving aside the everyday mysteries, like "where did I leave my keys?" or "why did I come upstairs?" I can tell you that we were flabbergasted a few weeks ago when both of our cats escaped from our house. We have no idea how they got out. They're indoor cats, so they're not used to cold temps and the scary possum that came looking for them. We found one of the kitties under the back steps and the other waaaay under the house. Took a few hours to get them back inside. We still wonder how they got out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you figure it out, Amy. I know it scares me when my dogs get out, and it happens even though I'm careful. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Marja, you could definitely work this into a story. Let us know when you do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all the time that's gone by, and the mysteries I've written, I can think of more things we should have done at the time. It's all a learning experience. :) Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you finally found your friend. Great detecting skills, but then of course, you're both mystery writers. Maggie King's right, you should work this story into a new mystery. Are you working on a new one right now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we found her, too, Evelyn. As a matter of fact, I'm working on a book titled "Gin Mill Grill." I had the pleasure of an artist actually painting my new book cover, and I'll be previewing it here soon. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Glad she's alright! What a detective!!!...can you find my remote (missing for a year) Smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your remote is probably hiding with my favorite pen, and I can see them laughing at us. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete