Monday, February 19, 2018

The Drama of It All



My tagline is, A little humor, a little romance, a little Murder!

There's absolutely nothing funny about murder, but the same can't be said for solving a crime.  Sandi, Pete, Pamela and Chris will take you places and introduce you to people and situations you'll remember for a long time, and they'll do their best to offer you a smile along the way. (A quote from my website.)

While my stories offer a little humor, there’s also drama. As stated above, there’s nothing humorous about murder. I’ve read a number of books that are funny from beginning to end, even though they involve violence of all kinds. While I enjoy them, that’s not what I want to present to the reader – to each his (or her) own.

Sometimes we need a little comedy relief in the middle of suspense and drama. It’s the same way in real life. When something traumatic happens in my life, I often look for a way to lighten the way I feel. Maybe it’s as simple as a funny memory from the life of someone who passed away. Maybe it’s finding something unexpected when you’re sorting through that person’s belongings. Sometimes even something touching can bring a smile to your face.

I realize that not everyone looks at things the way I do, but humor has gotten me through some rough times. I also understand that finding humor isn’t always possible, but more often than not I’ll find something humorous about almost every situation.

The other morning I woke up in a really, really bad mood. I don’t know why. During the morning I was in the kitchen and there was a sudden loud thud somewhere in the house. Of course, I just knew there was something wrong and I ran all over the house looking for tipped over furniture, an intruder, whatever.

Since moving to a different house, one of my dogs, Sugar, has taken to napping on my bed. When I checked my room, she was sitting on the floor looking like, “What the heck just happened?” Um, she fell off the bed. She’s a large dog. It made a very loud thud. And she made me laugh. Yes, she was fine. My bad mood disappeared in a flash.

I spoke to a woman who’d recently read Old Murders Never Die. She said she’d now read all of the Sandi Webster mysteries. I asked if any of them at least brought a smile to her face. She said that, yes, they made her laugh aloud. And she said Old Murders Never Die also made her cry, and that she appreciated the comedy relief in the story. She made my day.

This is also what made me think about the drama in the books. Real life is made up of drama, humor, sadness and joy. Shouldn’t books depict real life to some extent?

I look at it this way. There’s drama in life, however, when I read a book the drama is someone else’s problem. In a story, I get to see that drama resolved, and that gives me hope for life away from a book. If there’s a little humor in the story, too, that’s frosting on the cake.

When my time comes, I hope that rather than cry, people will remember funny stories about me. Easy to do because I’m such a clumsy person, and usually when I say something funny, it’s purely accidental. I’m not all that quick-witted. I do manage to make people laugh from time to time, and their laughter make me feel good.

Hmm. Maybe this is my subconscious telling me I need to start adding more humor to my blogs.

How do you feel? Would you rather read a book and laugh or cry, or both? Just curious.

Until next time, my heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims in Florida. I hope that at some point a sudden memory will bring a smile to them – maybe not laughter, but a smile.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website (still in need of updating)
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

COMING SOON: A preview of the new book cover for Gin Mill Grill – A Sandi Webster Mystery, and hopefully the book won’t be too far behind.

8 comments:

  1. You are so right, Marja. Reading your blog, I was reminded of Pollyanna, the Glad Girl. She was so much happier because she looked for the "glad" in life, even when she was wanting something nice and received something else--a pair of crutches, maybe. She was glad she didn't have to use them. I find plenty of reasons to laugh in your books. Not so many to cry, although there were some tragic happenings in Old Murders. Just keep doing what you're doing--in your fiction and your blog. You're a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy! What a wonderful thing to say. If I can put a smile on someone's face even once in a book, it makes my work feel worthwhile. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. I, too, loved Old Murders Never Die!! Yes, I like to be entertained and carried away with suspense, drama, laughter, sadness, thoughtfulness, mystery, poignancy--I want it all! (smile) Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madeline! Like you, I look for all of those things in a book. Not to be greedy, but I want it all, too. : ) Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  3. I'd rather read something that makes me laugh. There's so much real misery in the world, we need relief from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely, Gloria. Laughter really is the best medicine. I believe that with all my heart. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  4. Your novels always bring a smile to my lips. I've enjoyed reading every one of them. I hope you're working on another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evelyn! It dawned on me that I talk about the humor, but there's also plenty of drama. It seemed like the time to talk about the mix. Glad I can make you smile. : ) Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete