Monday, April 8, 2019

Another One?


I’m happy to say I recently completed my twentieth book, titled People Lookin’ Half Dead – A Bogey Man Mystery. I never, in my wildest dreams, thought I’d have twenty books to pick from, although I know a number of authors who offer more than that. The book is now available in both ebook and paperback format, but enough about the number of books.

 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=marja+mcgraw&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I moved from Arizona to Washington State in 2015. Not long before I moved, during packing, I hightailed it to a fast food restaurant for a takeout dinner. I sure didn’t feel like cooking, and I’d already packed all my pots and pans anyway.

I was waiting for my food when a homeless man walked in. He was tall and extremely thin with long hair. His skin was ashen, and so was his hair. He looked grey from head to toe. Obviously he hadn’t bathed in a very long time. He slowly walked to the counter and asked for a glass of water. He was soft-spoken and polite. The young lady at the counter handed him a paper cup and pointed toward the water. He thanked her and filled the cup. Remember, Arizona is hot and dry and water is as important as food. I’m not going to tell you the rest of the story because it’s not pertinent to this post, but let me say there was a good ending. Oh, and I appreciate the fact that the young lady behind the counter treated him with respect. That said a lot for her character.

Anyway, I’ve never been able to forget this man. He was on my mind so much that I knew he needed to be in a book. The title I’ve chosen, People Lookin’ Half Dead, doesn’t refer to the man’s appearance, but to a heatwave in Los Angeles.

“It’s one of the hottest summers in memory and Chris and Pamela Cross are gearing up to open their new supper club, Gin Mill Grill.

Tillie Babcock, Chris’s grandmother, has moved to town and she’s ready to take over – everything. She loves a good cause and wants nothing more than to help a few homeless people come in out of the heat and gain a second chance in life. Unfortunately, a few of these people are disappearing right out from under her nose.

At Tillie’s insistence, Chris and Pamela now have a cause, or case, of their own -- to find the missing people before it’s too late.”

I could write about the plight of the homeless here, but unless you never watch the news or read a newspaper, you know it’s a worldwide issue, and I’m not here to preach about it.

I generally try to include at least a little humor in my books, and this one is no exception. How did I insert humor in a book about disappearing homeless people? You’ll have to read the book to find out. I’m one of those people who believes you can find something humorous in almost any situation. Sometimes it’s the main characters and the situations they find themselves involved in, and once in a great while a homeless person might make you smile, if only for a second. No, there’s nothing funny about being homeless, but even they sometimes have a sense of humor. (My daughter told me the funniest sign she ever saw a homeless man holding up said, “Bet you can’t hit me with a quarter.”)

So thank you to the homeless man who wouldn’t let me forget him. I hope that at some point he had a second chance at life.

On the other side of the coin, there was once a homeless man who started attending a writers group I belonged to in Nevada. One morning I was the first one in the parking lot. An old van pulled in next to me and it was the homeless man who started telling me about a story he was working on. The story involved killing other homeless people and he went into great detail about the killings. I found myself slowly taking steps so I wasn’t hidden by the van.

Another car pulled into the lot and I took a deep breath and thanked him for sharing his story with me. He laughed, got into his van and drove away. He never attended the group again, but as a writer I couldn’t help wondering if there were homeless people buried nearby.

There are two sides to every story, but the man from the writers group didn’t make it into my book. Or did he?

Until next time, I hope you have a good week and that your life is filled with blessings.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website (Recently updated)
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com


13 comments:

  1. Your book sounds fascinating. I'm impressed with 20 books. Such determination and endurance is remarkable. Best wishes in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine! I'm excited about the number of books, but I'm more excited about this particular book. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. Trying to comment, but something's not working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I was trying to say was,

    Congratulations on your 20th book! What an incredible accomplishment. Your story of the man in the van made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Looking forward to reading the new book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! The man in the van pretty much had me shaking in my boots, especially since he blocked my car from view. I honestly can't recall if I referenced him in the book or not. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the 20s club, Marja. The print copy of your book is in the mail and I can't wait for it to arrive to read it. I love the book cover and know the plot will be even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's try for 30, Jean. I think you'll enjoy the story, and thank you. Also, thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  5. 20 books! That's quite an achievement. And it was great to hear that your new book is now in print. I just ordered it. There was a homeless man in my last book. I patterned him after one I knew when I was growing up. We called him shaky Jake. I think he may have had Parkinson's. He would go to people's houses and ask for work in exchange for food or whatever you could give him. My mom had him sweep the front porch and always gave him a sandwich and a glass of milk. It was all we could afford, but he was grateful for whatever he got. We used to see him around the neighborhood. One day he just disappeared and no one ever found out what happened to him. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evelyn! Back in the 70s, when I worked in downtown Los Angeles, we used to see homeless people who became familiar to us. One of them disappeared and since I worked in the courthouse I heard he'd been murdered. Yes, so sad. By the way, I forgot to mention in the blog that a character named Lt. Lightning was based on a real man they called General Hersheybar. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  6. Marja,
    I started reading "People Lookin' Half Dead" last night and I'm already hooked. Can't wait to get back to it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! You just made my day. And thank you so much for stopping in today!

      Delete
  7. A cool idea for a mystery. Excuse the pun. In my first book, Lottie's Legacy, a homeless man is the witness to a murder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd rather be a witness than to disappear, Gloria. Great idea for a story. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete