Monday, April 15, 2019

Is a Sign Just a Sign? Or is it an Idea?


A friend once sent me an email that grabbed me and wouldn’t let go. It was a sign, sort of, and it said, “Awkward Moment: When you’re digging a hole to bury a body – and you find another body already buried there.” As a mystery writer, how could I let that pass? A germ of an idea took hold and Awkward Moments – A Bogey Man Mystery came to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=marja+mcgraw&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

The same friend send me another email that said, “Next time a stranger talks to me when I’m alone I will look at them shocked, and just whisper, ‘You can see me?’” Good grief! I have to admit there are times I feel like following that example, but I don’t.  When I’m sitting alone and I’m quiet, I’m usually thinking about a storyline.

I can’t use every email for a story idea, but after my smile disappears, my brain kicks into gear and ideas start forming. Sometimes ideas for stories come from the most unusual places. If you’re a mystery writer, even a greeting card can start the ideas flowing. A comment made in passing by a friend, or overheard at a coffee house can inspire an entire book. It doesn’t take much more than a fertile imagination. Well, that and a lot of research and grinding hours at the computer.

One of the things I used to enjoy about the television show, Castle, was that something would happen and he’d start spinning stories to fit the event, guessing about what might have happened. Once in a while he was right, but often he was way off base. This is something many writers do. Given a set of circumstances and without having the entire story, they’ll find a scenario to fit the the information they do have.

I have a character in one of my two series who’s addicted to chocolate. At some point she’ll want to be involved in a chocolate mystery. When she was trapped in a ghost town she ran out of chocolate and almost had a meltdown. I can relate to that. Hmm. This might involve a trip to a chocolate factory. I wouldn’t want to get my facts wrong, would I? I mean, research is research. This, happily, could be very interesting research involving some taste-testing.

At the moment I’m mulling over Sandi Webster receiving a text message she didn’t want. A text message that I didn’t want set off alarms – story-wise that is. I’ve begun to write notes to myself so I won’t forget where I’m heading with the idea.

Someone worried that by writing this post another writer might steal my idea. Let them. There are so many possible scenarios that there’s room for all of us. Someone might write a dramatic and suspenseful story, and someone like me might write something with both drama and a little humor. Another author could even turn it into a horror story.

The life of a writer is so much more than I ever thought it would be. It can be a very solitary existence, but there are moments when we come together and share ideas, and… Well, maybe we don’t share ideas, but we do share experiences and stories. Mystery writers are, in general, very generous with their time and support of each other, and I do believe we frequently march to a different drummer. Yes, we even occasionally use clichés like marching to a different drummer. If you prefer, you might say that occasionally we sing a little off key? I do, anyway.

Authors have a lot of fun, aside from the hard work. Aren’t you glad they share their fun through their books? We do our very best to entertain readers and each other.

Until next time, think before you start digging a hole in the ground. You never know what you might dig up. Although, I have heard of people digging up unexpected treasures. Hmmm.

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
    Just a reminder: On The Books Page, toward the bottom, are some entertaining book      trailers.
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com


Think extreme heat and homeless people disappearing, and you’ll have the basis for the story.


12 comments:

  1. Right on so many areas. Mystery writers write to help readers escape from their own lives, take them to another place where someone might be worse off than they are, and overcome. A good mystery is therapeutic in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I've been known to read a mystery as an escape, and it works. :) The writing of mysteries is therapeutic, too. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I think most mystery readers love a good puzzle and appreciate a bit of humor thrown in break up the suspense. I also like to include a hint of romance to round out the plot, and agree with Elaine that the writing is therapeutic. My last mystery was certainly that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comments, Jean. I can't wait to see your next mystery. It should be fun. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I agree, Marja. The life of a writer is so much more than I expected it to be too. Yes, the writing itself is therapeutic. I can immerse myself in the lives of my characters and any problems I have disappear while I'm writing.
    But, another bonus is all the wonderful writers I've met along the way. I've made so many friends, including you, who share my love of the written word - especially when it's a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with what you said about other writers being a bonus, Pat. Unfortunately for me, I need a lot of therapeutic moments. LOL Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I was at a talk over the weekend where I was telling the people in the writing group what a generous and supportive community I'm so lucky to be a part of (talk about not being able to string a sentence together...). I'm so lucky to have met you and so many others. I look forward to reading a book with a chocolate mystery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This really is a generous and supportive community. I've made some good friends and I value the people I've come in contact with. I'm not sure I can come up with a unique chocolate mystery, though. : ) Thank you so much for commenting, Amy!

      Delete
  5. You're right. Ideas for mysteries come from some of the most unusual places. The ideas are great. Developing those ideas is another story.(Sigh!) Anyway, I just went to your new website. Fantastic! I love the photos and the book trailers. And I love reading People Lookin' Half Dead. It's a hard book to put down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evelyn! Now that I think about it, maybe I've overdone the idea of where inspiration comes from because it seems like I've done a number of posts on the subject. I guess I'd better start trying to think of some new topics. LOL Thank you for the compliments, too, and thank you so much for commenting today!

      Delete
  6. Great post, yes ideas all the time--and you, dear friend have a very fertile and imaginative mind to take those ideas and weave into a good story. I have, but haven't started People Lookin' Half Dead--I want a block of time when I can just curl up and enjoy.

    One of our local grocery stores in closing...hmmm...(smile)

    Oh, and I'll meet you at the chocolate factory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of fertile minds, Mad, you're in that group. :) Interesting how a grocery store closing might lead to a story, and I'll wait inside for you at the chocolate factory. Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete