Monday, April 22, 2019

Change of Pace


I’ve written several posts about finding the inspiration for a story and I think it’s time to move on. I believe it’s time to discuss reading, one of my favorite pastimes. There’s no one quite like an avid reader. We live in our own little worlds. Notice, I said we. I love sitting down with a good book, a glass of iced tea and something chocolate. So read on from a reader’s point of view.
  
I talk about writing a lot on this blog, but realistically there’s another side to books. Surprise, surprise, they’re meant to be read. I can talk about writing until I’m blue in the face, but it doesn’t matter how much I talk if no one reads the books. Readers are the most important part of the book world.

Long, long ago, I was in a rut. I had a set of authors whose writing I enjoyed, and I’d read their books and then wait for the next one to come out. If no one was feeling particularly prolific, or if they were working on something that was time-consuming, I’d become frustrated. Believe it or not, I feel that way sometimes; patience is not one of my virtues. And then it struck me that I didn’t have to stick to my list. Who knew? There are a large number of new and fairly new authors out there, and there are authors who’ve been at it for a long time but haven’t received the break they need yet.

So I started branching out. Anyone who’s been reading my posts knows that my favorite types of books are 1) mysteries, and 2) mysteries with some humor. Consider that we’re talking about murder mysteries. In most cases the entire book can’t amuse you because of the subject matter, although some writers do a pretty good job, but I like one with at least a little humor in it. Why? There’s enough drama in real life without adding more. Easy for me to say. I read plenty of books with no humor, it’s just that I prefer something that can make me chuckle.

I’ve read several authors who are new, or new to me. My whole reading world opened up. I could list several authors here, but I won’t. I did that once and had someone write to me saying they were insulted that I hadn’t included their book and they thought I was playing favorites. I say “they” because I don’t want to name names. Of course, that was a long time ago. I glanced at the list I’d made of new authors and most of them aren’t new anymore.

What the heck? In the future I might share the names of some new authors and their work. Why not? Not all of them write with humor, but they still keep me interested and entertained.

My point is, broaden your horizons. Take a chance. Try some new (to you) authors. I always say that word-of-mouth is the best advertising, so if someone mentions reading a book they just loved, ask who the author is. If you read a book you just love, be sure to spread the word. And don’t always judge a book by its cover, because sometimes they don’t represent what’s inside. Is the title intriguing? Check out the description on the back of the book before you decide to buy or not to buy. Open the book and read the first few pages.

To add a little confusion into the mix, don’t forget your tried and true favorite authors. Just don’t sit impatiently and wait for their next book.

Now, here’s my dirty little secret. My reading time has been cut way back. I won’t go into why, but I miss my favorite pastime. One day soon I’m going to sit down with the iced tea and chocolate, and read all day long.

Until next time, I wish you a week of new (to you) authors and enjoyable reading. Do a search on the Internet for “new mystery writers.”

CLICK HERE to visit Marja McGraw’s website
CLICK HERE for a quick trip to Amazon.com

Don’t forget that A Well-Kept Family Secret and Bubba’s Ghost (both Sandi Webster mysteries) are available in audio format.

And the newest addition to the family? People Lookin’ Half Dead – A Sandi Webster Mystery.

6 comments:

  1. I read every single night before I go to sleep. Sometimes, "life" interferes with my writing but it doesn't have the nerve to try to do that with my reading. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say the same, Pat. The minute I pick up a book, someone wants something, including the dogs. Today I have an appointment and I'll have quiet time to read while I wait. :) Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. I'm with Patricia. I read every night before I go to sleep, and I must say that, People Lookin Half Dead, is keeping me up until all hours, LOL! I used to be the same as you, waiting for an author I loved to write another book, until one day, I opened a local newspaper and noticed a book ad for a mystery titled, How To Murder Your Mother-in-Law. At the time, I was just about ready to do that, so I bought the book thinking it was instructional. (Just kidding) And that's when I discovered Dorothy Cannell. Needless to say, I loved it and went on to read every book she'd written. After that, I kept checking the book pages of that local paper for other authors. These days, I'm a lot more open minded. There are a lot of writers I love to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving me a chuckle, Evelyn! Thanks to writers groups I've discovered several new authors, and very few have let me down. I'm thrilled to hear you're enjoying People... Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete
  3. Fun post, Marja. I got in a rut a few years back, and I'm so glad I started looking for other authors. One thing I like to do is browse the shelves in the library to see which books are labelled "Mystery" and check those out, especially if I've never heard of the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Amy! It's fun to wander through the books at the library, and you never know what you'll find. If you find an author somewhere else whom you really enjoy, ask your library for books by that author. I used to work at a library and they're pretty good about that. Just a thought. Thank you so much for stopping in!

      Delete